Tuesday, July 1, 2008

John Adams - a must read - a must see


This afternoon I was running errands in Sterling Virginia - a place that seems to have all the shops and services required by the Thomson family. At the luggage repair shop I met this talkative fellow who in the course of the conversation asked me if I had seen the HBO mini-series John Adams. I told the fellow that I had read the book and bought the entire collection of disks when they went on sale at Target over the weekend.

He told me - and I agree - this several hour long docudrama will complete your education on the Revolutionary War.

All my life, I have stood uncomfortably in faked reverence when someone wraps a flag around themselves and starts spouting off, idealistically, about our "forefathers."

The "forefathers" - it turns out - were just as "up in your face" as politicians today. This country's formative years were fragile and could have gone in several different directions.

Whether you are a Democrat or Republican ... or an Independent like myself, you should take the time to rent or buy "John Adams" and be proud of your beliefs. Contention is a good thing...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Another nice way to get some history about John Adams and Thomas Jefferson is available at the Blount County Library. A Book on CD with the title,Adams vs. Jefferson: The Tumultuous Election of 1800.
The background biography on Arron Burr and Alexander Hamilton was most interesting.

Forrest Erickson

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree with you more in this mini-series. Absolutely fantastic.

I ended up listening to the actual book on audio after view the series, having never "listened" to a book before, it was an OK experience.

The book itself is pretty much a narrative linking all the letters and writings of JA, his wife, friends, and family.

I would highly recommend it as well.