Sunday, May 18, 2008

Remarks to a friendly crowd...


Oops! I made a mistake. Without researching further, I wrote a blog about Mayor Cunningham's apology for remarks he actually made on May 9 at the annual Lincoln Day Republican fundraiser. In error I did not notice, until someone reminded me, that his apology came several days later. Well... this makes for an even better blog.

There were 350 Republicans at this gathering and they all (assuredly) heard the remark. The real story would to interview these attendees and get their public reactions to Cunningham's comments about the Democrats who were victim's of Cunningham's diatribe.

I made a mistake, but ... I do not apologize for a criticism I made of Democrat's accepting his "gracious" apology. This is a pattern followed by Republicans nationwide. Make an outrageous statement and then apologize after the damage has been done. Cunningham knew what he was doing when he made his remarks.

There is no forum where a politician can make remarks without fear of being monitored. I would even be careful of where I prayed... Barack Obama found out the hard way about how "private" remarks can come back and bite you in the ass after he made his "bitter" comments in San Francisco.

Cunningham has been around politics for a long time. He is no virgin. He is also an elected public servant who is supposed to be serving "all" the people and not just the whims and wishes of the "in" crowd.

One remark, that particularly got me, was the remark that, according to Cunningham, most of his critics came from "someplace else." My God, Jerry, where did you expect them to come from? With Blount's growth rate, new people are a guaranteed certainty. With new people come new ideas and unfortunately, for Jerry, they don't seem to particularly care for the "old boy" crowd that has dominated Blount County politics for as long as I can remember.

His remarks and apology come right out of the Republican "dirty tricks" playbook. Maybe it's time for Jerry Cunningham to move on.

No comments: